Re: [asa] Behe's Math... was Arrogance

From: Iain Strachan <igd.strachan@gmail.com>
Date: Thu Aug 30 2007 - 13:28:11 EDT

On 8/30/07, David Opderbeck <dopderbeck@gmail.com> wrote:
> Iain said: I'd have to say in fairness that this depends on your point of
> view.
> I'm extremely proud that my daughter has arrived at the decision to
> embrace Christianity, and is now leading a cell-group at her church.
> But I've no doubt that many atheists would think that this was a
> tragedy as well,
>
> And yet, it's also fair to say, I think, that the choice whether to embrace
> Christianity isn't on the same order as, say, the choice of career to
> pursue. If we're really deeply committed to the essential claims of
> Christianity, we'd have to view the choice to embrace atheism as something
> that involves serious negative implications. It seems to me that we
> rightfully grieve when someone makes that choice.

Yes, but I still don't see what the emotional response adds to the
argument except that "we're right and they're wrong", so we grieve
when someone makes what we believe to be the wrong choice, and we're
happy when someone makes what we believe to be the right choice. PZ
Myers is extremely happy and proud that his daughter has taken after
him, and that's only natural for him to be happy his daughter has
turned out in what he perceives to be the right way. Likewise, when
the athelete Jonathan Edwards announced he'd renounced his faith (was
an evangelical christian), whilst there was much crowing on the
Richard Dawkins website, there were also posts from people who were
genuinely happy for him that he'd arrived at this supposedly
enlightened position.

My point of unease was to show a picture of a cute child and then
imply how heartbreaking that she became an atheist campaigner. I've
no doubt there are cute pictures of Richard Dawkins aged 3 - what a
tragedy that this cute innocent child became Richard Dawkins. But it
really adds nothing to the argument - God is heartbroken when ANY
person turns away from Him - whether they were a cute child or a
repulsive brat.

Iain