Re: [asa] Behe's Math... was Arrogance

From: David Opderbeck <dopderbeck@gmail.com>
Date: Thu Aug 30 2007 - 13:00:56 EDT

Iain said: *I'd have to say in fairness that this depends on your point of
view.
I'm extremely proud that my daughter has arrived at the decision to
embrace Christianity, and is now leading a cell-group at her church.
But I've no doubt that many atheists would think that this was a
tragedy as well,*

And yet, it's also fair to say, I think, that the choice whether to embrace
Christianity isn't on the same order as, say, the choice of career to
pursue. If we're really deeply committed to the essential claims of
Christianity, we'd have to view the choice to embrace atheism as something
that involves serious negative implications. It seems to me that we
rightfully grieve when someone makes that choice. This isn't to say,
though, that we would restrict anyone's political or religious freedom to
make that choice, or to influence one's own children as one thinks best.
Atheists and Christians should be able to respect each other's religious and
political freedoms without abandoning the sometimes exclusive implications
of their different belief systems.

*

*