Re: [asa] Behe's Math... was Arrogance

From: David Opderbeck <dopderbeck@gmail.com>
Date: Thu Aug 30 2007 - 11:25:54 EDT

I'm going to partly agree with Pim here. It is useful for us to pay
attention to criticism and sometimes to repent of things that have lead to
legitimate criticism (see Merold Westphal's "Suspicion & Faith: The
Religious Uses of Atheism" for some good examples of this).

But there is a difference between listening to and learning from critics and
lacking discernment when critics are making arguments that are overreaching
and unfair or endorsing the critics' ultimate conclusions. It's one thing
to let folks like Meyers, Dawkins and Avalos provoke reflection; it's
another to essentially agree with their twisted assessment of Christianity
and religious faith.