RE: [asa] Edinburgh mtg--Alexander

From: Dick Fischer <dickfischer@verizon.net>
Date: Tue Aug 28 2007 - 13:43:26 EDT

Let's face it, there are "serious problems" no matter what avenue you
take to resolve Bible/science (Adam, Adam, wherefore art thou .)
difficulties. Not the least of which is the fact that the vast majority
of Christian believers are already committed to something else. I'm
beginning to have hope that there is a small growing number of us (maybe
a dozen) who take Adam as a Neolithic character who fathered the
covenant race. He had the mandate and he failed at his assigned
mission.

Now in view of this historical likelihood we have to accommodate how we
view the idea of Original Sin. If Adam was the first to be accountable
and if sinning requires a measure of accountability then OS begins with
him and he was the first capable of committing it. If Fred Flintstone
and Barney Rubble were held accountable by God for their actions, if
they could look forward to either heaven or hell, then allow cavemen to
be in the "image of God" and look forward to spending an eternity with
some of these guys in the hereafter.

On the other hand, if Adam was the one created in God's image, or simply
put, Adam was the first representative of God, then Genesis 1:27 refers
to him alone. For example, "God created [Adam, not man] in his own
image ..." In other words, Adam was a stand-in for God to bring the
rest of the populated world into a new era of accountability or God
awareness. Then Genesis 5:1 would be understood: "This is the book of
the generations of Adam. In the day that God created [Adam, not "man"]
in the likeness of God made He him."

On the other, other hand, if every hominid who breathed air in the last
million years is in God's image then it includes Jeffrey Dahmer, the
Boston strangler, Osama Bin Laden, and other characters of dubious
reputation. Somehow I can't bring myself to believe that when Paul told
us Christ was in the image of God that he thought it lumped him in with
pedophiles and axe murderers. Certainly it is a category more esteemed
than that.

Dick Fischer

Dick Fischer, Genesis Proclaimed Association

 <http://www.genesisproclaimed.org> www.genesisproclaimed.org