Re: [asa] Creationists for genocide

From: PvM <pvm.pandas@gmail.com>
Date: Tue Aug 28 2007 - 11:51:08 EDT

So far the only incoherence comes from you my dear friend. If you
beleive that it is possible to bild a genocidal ethics from the facts
of evolution then I encourage you to present you argument.

The problem with your 'arguments' are that you ignore what Avalos and
I are telling you. Of course people can use the Bible to create an
'ethic' against genocide, and they can use the same bible to create an
ethic for genocide. It's because the bible cannot provide us
guidelines as to what is just and unjust genocide.

The problem is that opposing sides can both find support in the bible
for their positions, which can create conflict when scarce resources
are involved.

I suggest that we have a serious discussion as to Avalos, lest we want
to resort, like David, to the creation of irrelevant strawmen.

So let's, for David's sake, clarify what is already obvious, even
though he has chosen to make our private discussion public without
consulting me. A minor ethical infraction but still

1. The bible fails as a foundation for many ethics because it lacks an
objective standard and can be used to argue either side.
2. The lack of such a standard can lead to conflict where both sides
appeal to the bible or similar texts to support their actions an
positions. Countless examples exist to varying degrees.
3. Avalos argues that science provides a less subjective ethics
because it is based on evidence. Does this mean that science cannot be
abused either? Of course not.
4. During WWII, the German State Church, the majority of Christians,
supported the Nazis in their actions, while a small minority, the
Confessing Church, opposed it, mostly based on church-state separation
considerations. In other words, the examples cited by David, show that
opposing sides can appeal to the same bible to support their claims.
5. Does this mean that popes and others cannot speak out against
genocide? Of course not, but if they claim that their opposition comes
from biblical considerations then they have a real problem to deal
with, as history has so often shown.

Does it matter that David believes he can formulate an ethics of
genocide based on evolutionary theory, even though he has yet to do
so? Not really.
Until David at least understands Avalos's arguments, David's
objections remain founded in his own strawmen.

Simple.
So why is it so hard to address these issues raised by Avalos? Perhaps
because as Christians we realize that they may cause discomfort?
Should we avoid such discomfort by rejecting Avalos's claims as
atheistic etc? So far I have found the level of reactions on ASA quite
interesting.

In Christ
Pim