Re: [asa] Edinburgh mtg--Alexander

From: George Murphy <gmurphy@raex.com>
Date: Mon Aug 27 2007 - 22:26:07 EDT

His analysis of the two basic issues with which evolution confronts theology is pretty good & I don't have much to add in that regard. It's not really necessary to divide the 2 types of "spiritual death" as he does: The "second death" can be understood as the eschatological form of the spiritual death of this world. But that is perhaps a quibble.

I don't think his arguments for Model C, over against B (the correct choice :)) are strong. This is in part because the whole notion of the imputation of "Adam's" sin to his descendants - & perhaps even to those who aren't his descendants - has serious problems. & while it is possible to speak of a "first sin," the picture that we get from Gen.3-11 is really one of a process of falling instead of an abrupt collapse.

Shalom
George
http://web.raex.com/~gmurphy/