Re: [asa] FYI: Arrogance, dogma and why science - not faith - is the new enemy of

From: PvM <pvm.pandas@gmail.com>
Date: Sun Aug 26 2007 - 13:11:35 EDT

On 8/26/07, John Walley <john_walley@yahoo.com> wrote:

> On the plus side for randomness we see variation within species and the
> fossil gene arguments from Carroll and from Collins examples', the fusion of
> chromosome 2 between chimps and humans. These are all very powerful
> indicators that there are random NON-directed and thus NOT designed factors
> in the history of life.

This is based on a fallacy that random cannot be designed. What we may
see as random can very well come from an intelligent mind. What
science has show is that an explanation of design is not required.

> However even assuming we grant Hox genes and gene replication as the
> mechanism for adding complexity to the genome, I still contend that it is
> faith-based to assume that all these processes can randomly produce the
> elegant structures like in Behe's IC. And you still have the origins and
> information problem as well.

At least we are progressing here from evolution explaining complexity
to the issue of origins and 'information problem', although there is
no clear reason why there is a problem for information here since we
already accepted the evolution of complexity. So all that is needed is
for science to explain the origins of life. This may take some time
although some scientists believe that it may take less than 20 years
to achieve the necessary steps.

> If as TE's we accept God's involvement in the origin of life why is it so
> foreign to consider it along the way? I am not invoking intervention like
> Progressive Creationism, but it could have been embedded. That is what I
> thought Behe's book was relevant, because he challenges this role of
> randomness and its importance in explaining the overall story.

The problem is that he does little to challenge this from a scientific
perspective, so all he does is appealing to your religious senses.

> Although I am not a biologist I do find it fascinating and try to keep up
> with it at a layman's level. As a software developer however, I do infer
> what I recognize as parallels in this debate. I construct algorithms of
> processing data to guarantee certain outcomes in the midst of lots of
> variables and conditions that have to be trapped for and coded. Assuming
> that guaranteeing an outcome is valid which I think it is (at least to wind
> up with a sentient spiritual being), this is analogous to God's embedded
> program of life.

Now take the next step and imagine an algorithm of selection and
variation and we see God's program of life.

> All programming languages have a rand() function and they all have
> parameters to specify the range that you want the rand value constrained by.
> It seems logical to me to deduce that God used the rand() function in the
> embedded programming language of life as it is obvious there is a component
> of randomness but it appears it was also constrained within some range. The
> main logic of the overarching program though still had a goal in mind and
> was therefore not completely random.

Constraints are everywhere, history, physics, chemistry,
developmental, you name it. Ruse has some interesting ideas on this
topic.

> And for you physicists, another analogy that struck me was the following.
> Consider gas bubbles being released under water. The gas forms bubbles and
> they all travel to the surface but each takes its own trajectory and some
> collide with other bubbles and merge and this process when combined with
> currents in the water would probably appear as random. But the buoyancy of
> the gas in the water directs the guaranteed outcome of all of them reaching
> the surface.

Sounds similar to the argument Gould uses about complexity. There is a
wall of single cell complexity at the left, and life, evolving
randomly like a drunkards walk, can only move towards higher
complexity.

> This is as opposed to the same gas being released in space with no gravity
> where no outcome would be directed or guaranteed. I contend the former
> analogy is more like what we see in life where I feel some Darwinists just
> for the sake of dogma argue the latter, which to me seems unjustified.

If you call science a dogma then fine. What scientists argue is that
such boundary and initial conditions guide the evolutionary paths
taken, just like the motion of planets, which Newton believed had to
be under constant supervision of a deity, and which we now know need
not.
 Does that mean that there could not be a deity monitoring the orbits
of planets and stars? Of course not.

> So, that is the perspective I am coming from. I am not an evolution denier
> or a fundamentalist bible thumper, but just what I consider to be a rational
> and objective thinker with no prior commitments either way. But I guess
> there is still not enough evidence to resolve this conclusively so I guess
> the concluding thought it as one commented "the debate continues...".

The problem is that ID is not providing any tools to resolve if their
'explanation' is better, since they are not interested in
explanations.
Complexity, design etc are all shrouded in confusing re-definitions
based on a negative argument. While I appreciate and applaud your
position, I urge you to continue your explorations and studies to come
to the conclusion that science should never be seen as an obstacle to
our faith and should never be seen as anti-God.
At a scientific level however, there is no real debate, as ID is not
offering anything that can guide science in its debate. Proclaiming
the existence of an edge based on flawed logic surely shows how ID can
lead one down an irrelevant path.