RE: [asa] Land Animals and the Flood

From: Jon Tandy <tandyland@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri Aug 24 2007 - 14:56:34 EDT

I think I was looking at it from the point of view that, if the animals were
killed simply as a consequence ("collateral damage") of God's chosen method
of judgment, how can we justify God in killing these innocent animals? But
my comment was the result of thinking, what's the difference between these
animals, and other examples, such as in Psalms where God is described as
giving the carnivorous beasts their food (presumably at the expense of other
animals) as a normal part of creation, or God's command to the Israelites to
slaughter the livestock of their enemies along with all the people in the
conquest of Canaan?

Then there's also the idea (from a literal-historical view of Genesis) that
God caused all beasts throughout history to die simply for judgment of
Adam's sin, or from a TE point of view, that God caused millions of years of
animal death leading up to the development of humans. In this context, a
few thousand cows dying in Noah's flood doesn't really detract from God's
"goodness" any more than these other examples, so if someone has a problem
with it, they should simply answer the question of animal death in general.
Of course, a global versus a local flood raises the stakes a notch, but
doesn't significantly change the argument.

Jon Tandy
 <http://www.arcom.com/>