Re: [asa] Land Animals and the Flood

From: Robert Schneider <schneider98@gmail.com>
Date: Fri Aug 24 2007 - 14:07:22 EDT

Jon writes:

"The animals just happened to be collateral damage of God's chosen
method of judgment, which might still be seen as a theological problem. But
then it becomes part of the larger question of why there is so much
(sinless) animal death throughout time."

I would not think that the death of animals as "collaberal damage" should be
made part of the larger question of animal death, because the story makes
the death of these animals a deliberate part of God's action. Rather, it
raises the common formulation of the problem of evil up a notch. How does
one justify God's actions in this case, which differs from animal death as
the normal course of nature?

Bob S.

On 8/24/07, Jon Tandy <tandyland@earthlink.net> wrote:

> Gordon,
>
> Which verse says that God is sorry he made the animals? Are you referring
> to Gen 6:7 ? I would say before trying to figure out why the Lord was
> sorry
> about the animals, we need to make sure that's what it actually means.
>
> [Gen 6:7] And the Lord said, I will destroy man whom I have created from
> the
> face of the earth; both man, and beast, and the creeping thing, and the
> fowls of the air; for it repenteth me that I have made them.
>
> You are assuming "them" at the end of the verse is referring to the
> immediate antecedant, "man, beast, creaping thing, fowls." However, in
> context this is written after Gen 6:1-7a has said:
>
> "...when men began to multiply...the Lord said, My spirit shall not always
> strive with man...And God saw that the wickedness of man was great...every
> imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually. And it
> repented the Lord that he had made man on the earth...I will destroy man
> whom I have created..."
>
> There seems to be a theme here. Man is the one with whom God was
> displeased, not the animals. The only confusion seems to be that after
> God
> says he will destroy man, he parenthetically says he will also destroy the
> animals, but the "them" at the end is really referring back to "mankind"
> with whom God was displeased. So I would argue that the traditional way
> of
> reading this (or if you will, glossing over this potential problem) is
> correct. The animals just happened to be collateral damage of God's
> chosen
> method of judgment, which might still be seen as a theological
> problem. But
> then it becomes part of the larger question of why there is so much
> (sinless) animal death throughout time.
>
> Jon Tandy

Robert J. Schneider
187 Sierra Vista
Boone, NC, 28607
828-264-4071
"Science and Faith: perspectives on Christianity and science:
http://community.berea.edu/scienceandfaith/.
"A Catechism of Creation: An Episcopal Understanding":
www.episcopalchurch.org/science/.