Re: [asa] Any comments? Fossils belong to new great ape

From: David Campbell <pleuronaia@gmail.com>
Date: Fri Aug 24 2007 - 12:27:11 EDT

The estimated dates largely reflect molecular clock assumptions, which
despite a few notable exceptions, for the most part are statistically
invalid-at best requiring an error bar a few orders of magnitude
wider.

On the other hand, telling proto-gorilla teeth from teeth of an ape
that ate like a gorilla but is not their direct ancestor is far from
easy.

Obviously the thing to do is to put more money into studying the
fossil record of organisms with nice, durable shells that don't fall
apart into more than a few pieces when they die (hint to anyone who
might be in a position to hire me). However, most humans are
understanably interested in vertebrates, especially primates.

--
Dr. David Campbell
425 Scientific Collections