RE: [asa] Land Animals and the Flood

From: gordon brown <gbrown@Colorado.EDU>
Date: Fri Aug 24 2007 - 12:15:10 EDT

On Fri, 24 Aug 2007, Jon Tandy wrote:

> You are assuming "them" at the end of the verse is referring to the
> immediate antecedant, "man, beast, creaping thing, fowls." However, in
> context this is written after Gen 6:1-7a has said:

In the Hebrew of this verse the singular of the word for man is used.
Likewise for beast, etc. It is man to beast to ... . There is no one
plural word that could be used as the antecedent. That is why I concluded
that all of these creatures together are the antecedent. At least this
would be the case by rules of English grammar, but Hebrew grammar often
seems strange to us, and so maybe a Hebrew expert can tell us whether a
singular noun can be the antecedent of a plural pronominal ending on a
Hebrew verb.

Gordon Brown (ASA member)