Re: [asa] Question on recent OBE study, NDE

From: David Campbell <pleuronaia@gmail.com>
Date: Fri Aug 24 2007 - 12:06:44 EDT

> However, in a near-death experience (NDE), especially
> those when a person has been declared clinically dead
> (which as I understand it, means there's no brain
> activity), am I correct in thinking that the findings
> of this recent OBE study would not be applicable,
> because the brain is not receiving and/or processing
> sensory information (i.e. the person's eyes are
> closed, there's no activity in regions of the brain
> that would normally process such information)?

I don't know how many of the stories are actually accompanied by solid
evidence of lacking brain activity. The two examples I know of
personally involved the emergency room personnel not anticipating
survival, but no mention of specific assessment of brain activity. If
the brain is not receiving normal stimuli, it can start to mistake
other things for real sensory input. Of course, that doesn't explain
why a particular set of coherent impressions would result, but it does
suggest that there may be similar physical processes going on (even if
the causative agent were a spiritual experience, presumably there must
be some way of transmitting that into the neurons of the brain).

My father's purported near-death experience might be of interest. No
bright lights or voices, though. When he was hospitalized to drain
excess pericardial fluid, a nurse saw the monitor go to a flat line
and rushed in to find him sitting up and combing his hair. The flat
line was merely due to a loose clip on the monitor wire, but I was
able to point out that combing showed he had been de-parted.

--
Dr. David Campbell
425 Scientific Collections