Re: [asa] Land Animals and the Flood

From: David Campbell <pleuronaia@gmail.com>
Date: Fri Aug 24 2007 - 11:52:41 EDT

> 2. Do the animals that Paul mentions in Romans 1:23 pretty well cover the
> list of creatures whose images were widely worshipped among the pagans?

Sea monsters (or the sea itself) were viewed as supernaturally potent
entities in Canaanite mythology, though I don't know that they were
exactly worshipped as opposed to merely feared. Hippos and crocodiles
sacred in Egypt might fall under this category, as aquatic, rather
than land animals.

Piscine imagery is associated with Dagon, Neptune, etc., but I don't
know that the fish were worshipped as opposed to being decor or
perhaps worshipped as a merman-like combination.

--
Dr. David Campbell
425 Scientific Collections