[asa] Question on recent OBE study, NDE

From: Christine Smith <christine_mb_smith@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri Aug 24 2007 - 10:40:55 EDT

Just a quick question on a recent study of out-of-body
experiences (see BBC article here:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/6960612.stm). In the
summary written by the BBC, it indicates that the
volunteers were essentially exposed to a virtual
reality which then "fooled" the brain into thinking
that their "self" was located outside their bodies.
This of course, seems logical enough--change the
sensory input, change the perception.

However, in a near-death experience (NDE), especially
those when a person has been declared clinically dead
(which as I understand it, means there's no brain
activity), am I correct in thinking that the findings
of this recent OBE study would not be applicable,
because the brain is not receiving and/or processing
sensory information (i.e. the person's eyes are
closed, there's no activity in regions of the brain
that would normally process such information)?

In case you're wondering--I still am undecided about
what to think of such phenomena; I don't have his book
in front of me, but I think my current view of NDE
would be best paraphrased by C.S. Lewis, who in
talking about miracles said something to the effect of
"I believe that they happen in general, but I maintain
a great deal of skepticism on a case-by-case basis".

Thanks,
Christine