Re: [asa] FYI: Arrogance, dogma and why science - not faith - is the new enemy of

From: George Murphy <gmurphy@raex.com>
Date: Fri Aug 24 2007 - 08:20:23 EDT

When after "a great deal of study" or even not much study at all some phenomenon remains unexplained, a good scientific theory does indeed recognize that. & the way it does that is simply to say "We don't understand how this happens but it does." But there is no reason to say that we will never have a scientific theory that explains the phenomenon in question & no reason to say that God has brought about that phenomenon directly. Maybe God has, but we don't know that.

Modern particle physics got its start with J.J. Thomson's discovery of the electron ~1895. One of the basic problems then was why the electron (& later all the other particles that have been found) have the rest masses that they have. Progress has been made on this problem & the masses of some particles can be explained but we still don't have a complete solution. (If the Higgs particle is found it will explain the masses of some particles but not of the Higgs itself.) So what physicists do is simply recognize this and, when necessary, put the appropriate masses into the equations "by hand" (i.e., not generated by the theory itself). But there is no need to say "God gave these particles their rest masses directly." That is also true for physicists who are Christians & who believe that God has created particles with their various properties.

Shalom
George
http://web.raex.com/~gmurphy/