Re: [asa] FYI: Arrogance, dogma and why science - not faith - is the new enemy of

From: Merv <mrb22667@kansas.net>
Date: Thu Aug 23 2007 - 21:58:05 EDT

Peter Loose wrote:
snip...

> I'm still waiting for someone to come back with a clear and succinct
> statement of what is meant by science. I don't mean a treatise -- I
> mean one or two sentences.
>

> Peter

I'll take a stab at this: Science is the investigation of a chain of
causality.

Further elaboration:
The ends of the chain are not available for scientific inspection, (and
even if they were, science would have nothing to say about it anyway
because there would be no previous causal link to investigate.) And
this is not the same as saying science denies the existence of "ends of
the chain". It is only to state that science can't say anything at all
about such things. And if God intervenes to do something miraculous
(like the wine at the wedding), this might be a new bit of chain that
begins and joins into the existing long chain. Should you be blessed to
be present at such a beginning, your scientific self is free to look for
and investigate for answers. If it truly was an "unlinked" beginning,
you wouldn't have any scientific answers to find. But I don't think the
continued quest for previous links necessarily implies a lack of faith.
We simultaneously look for answers and praise God for making it so
anyway. As a community of faith we don't withhold praise from God for
a link just because we see and understand the previous link -- we praise
God for all of it. And if some links seem potentially to be "beginning
links", then we praise God for those as well without making our praise
contingent upon whether such links remain mysterious. God makes the
sun to shine & rain to fall on the righteous and the wicked. And our
assertion that the sun "rises" because the earth turns does not detract
one iota from the previous theological statement, nor does it imply that
we question that statement about God.

--Merv