Re: [asa] FYI: Arrogance, dogma and why science - not faith - is the new enemy of

From: George Murphy <gmurphy@raex.com>
Date: Thu Aug 23 2007 - 17:45:48 EDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael Roberts" <michael.andrea.r@ukonline.co.uk>
To: <asa@calvin.edu>
Sent: Thursday, August 23, 2007 4:42 PM
Subject: Re: [asa] FYI: Arrogance, dogma and why science - not faith - is the new enemy of

> An interesting quote from Plantinga in a LeaderU article on Methodological
> Naturalism
>
> 63. Why couldn't a scientist think as follows? God has created the world,
> and of course has created everything in it directly or indirectly. After a
> great deal of study, we can't see how he created some phenomenon P (life,
> for example) indirectly; thus probably he has created it directly. return to
> text
>
> This is akin to IC or is it God-of-the-Gaps.

If one believes that all things have been created by God, what is gained by concluding that phenomenon P has been created directly? OTOH, there is the clear disadvantage that one thereby forecloses the possibility of obtaining a scientific explanation of P.

This is just the old "Then a miracle occurs" gambit, but this time as a supposedly serious suggestion instead of a cartoon.

Shalom
George
http://web.raex.com/~gmurphy/