RE: [asa] God of the Gaps definition

From: Alexanian, Moorad <alexanian@uncw.edu>
Date: Thu Aug 23 2007 - 13:57:28 EDT

Scientific explanations cannot bring anything into being. Therefore, the existence of all that is cannot be solved by science, whichever way one defines science. As I have often said, it is difficult, if not impossible, to disentangle the question of being from that of design. Surely, the laws of science cannot sustain or bring into being the spatiotemporal behavior of what science describes. Therefore, sustaining what exists is clearly out of the realm of science. Science must form part of a larger worldview in order to explain the whole of reality. Herein lies the necessity of metaphysics.

Moorad