[asa] God of the Gaps definition

From: David Campbell <pleuronaia@gmail.com>
Date: Thu Aug 23 2007 - 13:34:17 EDT

Seeing Lewis's assertion in The Problem of Pain (towards the end of
the first chapter) that "To ask whther the universe as we see it looks
more like the work of a wise and good creator or the work of chance,
indifference, or malevolence, is to omit from the outset all the
relevant factors in the religious problem." (and similar quote from
Pascal heading the chapter) has prompted some thought on the issue of
trying to start apologetics from scientific evidence.

I think that the term God of the gaps has at least two possible
senses. One is mere argument from ignorance. However, even if one
were to accept ID claims of having a genuinely well-characterized gap,
the argument is still based on a claim that no scientific explanation
exists other than design (if that is allowed as an example of
science), instead of being rooted in God's self-revelation.

--
Dr. David Campbell
425 Scientific Collections