[asa] Shark mutation

From: Jim Armstrong <jarmstro@qwest.net>
Date: Thu Aug 23 2007 - 13:21:15 EDT

I ran across this news item regarding the catch of a shark with
appendages clearly resembling webbed feet.
http://www.underwatertimes.com/news.php?article_id=73210864950
I wonder how many simultaneous mutations (if any) were required for this
to happen.
Of course, it is no sure thing that this mutation happened in such a way
as to be heritable.
But that is not my point.
The basic point here is that the muational sequence length may not be as
great (and as unlikely!) as one might think to move from one morphology
to another significantly different morphology.

JimA [Friend of ASA]