Re: [asa] egad

From: Robert Schneider <schneider98@gmail.com>
Date: Wed Aug 22 2007 - 14:35:50 EDT

While I am not an expert in Greek art, I taught a course in Greek and Roman
culture and one in classical mythology for over twenty-five years, while
also teaching a course that included a close reading of Genesis 1-11. Funny
that I missed this connection, as have the several historians of Greek art I
used for preparing lectures. They include Jane Henle's book *Greek Myths: A
Vase Painter's Notebook*.

While Greek vase painters and scultors may have been working independently
of literarary sources, as Greek mythology has a rich oral tradition, I would
note that the Flood story appears in Greek mythological writings only quite
late, in Ovid's *Metamorphoses (late 1st c. BC)* and Apollodorus's *Library
of Myths (2nd cent. AD)**.* The latter compiler cites two eartly (5th cent.
B.C.) proto-historians. It is clear from the dearth of material that the
flood myth was a little interest to the Greeks. Lucian of Samosata (2nd
cent. AD) refers to the myth, but although he was a Syrian, it is curious
that he doesn't draw upon Near Eastern sources such as Gilgamesh and
Genesis. I do not recall ever seeing a Greek vase that portrays the Flood as
Johnson argues.

Johnson claims that the Greek artists portrayed the gods as human beings,
because that is what they truly were and Socrates said so. I think he needed
to do some extensive reading in the history of Greek and near eastern
religions. He is obviously either quite ignorant or quite selective. The
Euhemerist theory of the origin of the gods is but one notion in Greek
religious thought and practice, and certainly not the dominant one among
ordinary believers.

I suspect typical YEC scholarship: make a conclusion and then "interpret"
the materials to conform to it. The dead-giveaway is the polemical trashing
Johnson invites his readers to visit on "evolutionists." Does he think that
all of these scholars of Greek art are to be lumped in with this atheistic
crowd?

I wonder if any expert on Greek art and its portrayals of mythological
themes will take the trouble to review this work. Probably not.

Bob Schneider (A Mutant Descendent of Slim Mold)

On 8/21/07, John Burgeson (Burgy) <burgytwo@juno.com> wrote:

> Date: August 21, 2007
> By: Robert Bowie Johnson, Jr.
> From: Solving Light Books
>
> Call Darwinists 'Slime-Snake-Monkey-People' Author Urges Christians
>
> Merited Ridicule May Shame Them into Accepting Evidence in Greek Art for
> Genesis Events
>
> ANNAPOLIS, Maryland, August 21 /Christian Newswire/ -- Solving Light Books
> announced today the release of Robert Bowie Johnson Jr.'s new book, "Noah in
> Ancient Greek Art," featuring 27 ancient images of the Greek version of
> Noah. The book details Noah's role in Greek art as a known historical figure
> in relation to whom the artists were able to depict, and boast of, the rapid
> growth of their contrary spiritual outlook, exalting man, instead of God, as
> the measure of all things.
>
> In his previous book, "The Parthenon Code: Mankind's History in Marble" (a
> 288-page hardback now translated into Greek and French), Mr. Johnson
> presents abundant evidence that ancient Greek art preserves a record of
> humanity's origins matching the Genesis account, but from an opposite
> viewpoint- that the serpent enlightened, rather than deluded, the first
> couple in paradise.
>
> "In Greek art, we find detailed, consistent portrayals of the early
> Genesis themes including: the ancient garden, the serpent-entwined apple
> tree, the first family, Cain killing Abel, the Flood, and the successful
> rebellion against Noah after the Flood. Greek artists made the gods look
> just like people because that's who they were-our ancestors. Socrates
> himself referred to the gods as such," Mr. Johnson said.
>
> The author devotes the final section of his new book to explaining why
> mainstream scientists, academics, and journalists remain oblivious to the
> true significance of Greek art. "Their ruling paradigm is Darwinism, a
> closed-minded, anti-Creator mindset which compels them to ignore or deny any
> evidence which tends to validate the Book of Genesis. Viewing Greek art as
> what it truly represents-human history- painfully contradicts their pompous
> evolutionist speculation. That's why they must blindly insist that ancient
> Greek vase-painters and sculptors spent their entire lives portraying
> nothing more than myths," Mr. Johnson stated.
>
> To shock the Darwinists out of their denial of the overwhelming evidence
> in Greek art for the reality of Genesis events, the author urges
> Creationists to refer to evolutionists as what they imagine they are-"Slime-
> Snake-Monkey-People." Mr. Johnson, who holds a general science degree from
> West Point, also suggests that since Slime-Snake-Monkey-People insist they
> evolved over millions of years through a countless series of random
> mutations, Christians should also refer to them as "mutants."
>

> www.burgy.50megs.com

Robert J. Schneider
187 Sierra Vista
Boone, NC, 28607
828-264-4071
"Science and Faith: perspectives on Christianity and science:
http://community.berea.edu/scienceandfaith/.
"A Catechism of Creation: An Episcopal Understanding":
www.episcopalchurch.org/science/.