Re: [asa] Theological Perspectives Without a Literal Adam

From: David Opderbeck <dopderbeck@gmail.com>
Date: Wed Aug 22 2007 - 11:53:08 EDT

Right -- but Zondervan's Counterpoints series doesn't have these
titles: "*Four
Views on Whether God is Creator*" or "*Six Views on Whether Jesus is the Son
of God*." Ok, yes, there are dozens of views on exactly what it
*means*that God is "creator" and that Jesus is "Son of God," but it
seems to me
that these at least are basic affirmations that are central to an
authentically "Christian" tradition - and beyond that, the basic kerygma
that Jesus is exalted by virtue of his resurrection, the Holy Spirit is the
sign of God's presence in the Church, that people everywhere should repent
and recieve forgiveness and salvation in Christ, and that Christ will return
to consummate history. Again, there are inummerable details as to which
multiphonic perspectives are possible, but I don't want to be so quick to
concede that there is no essential core. I'm not even sure I'd be so quick
to concede that multiple views on the details are always a "scandal," if the
tradition is an incarnational one rather than some kind of Greek ideal
abstraction.