Re: [asa] Behe's Math... was Arrogance

From: John Walley <john_walley@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue Aug 21 2007 - 14:58:25 EDT

So now that we are all in agreement that "the malaria example is a great example of evolution under strong selective pressures", this problem boils down to a simple mathematical calculation.

We simply take the number of generations of malaria organisms in that 50 year time frame and divide by 8 and we get an estimate of how many selected mutations per population size and number of generations, and this gives us a rough estimate of a successful mutation rate to expect in other organisms, at least microbes. Granted the rate depends on a multitude of factors and may change in advanced life but it gives us a starting point.

Behe then compares this to the population size of primates and the number of mutations needed just to get from chimps to humans in the timespan that they have both been on the earth and it is not even close. And nevermind for now the fact that more than just single mutations are needed, but ones that add additional base pairs as well.

As a physicist Pim, wouldn't you agree that this is a scientific way to analyse this problem and arrive at whether or not random mutation and selection could explain evolution without some other intervention like Design?

This mathematical analysis should answer the question for us once and for all about Design. Either it is not needed or Behe is right and the power of random mutation is "fanciful Darwinian speculation".