Re: [asa] FYI: Arrogance, dogma and why science - not faith - is the new enemy of

From: Michael Roberts <michael.andrea.r@ukonline.co.uk>
Date: Tue Aug 21 2007 - 06:15:07 EDT

Peter, I am in very close agreement with you.

First I am glad that like Habermas* you accept the Big Bang cosmology, which points to the age of the universe being some 13 billion years old, fitting in with geological calculations on the age of the earth as 4.6 billion and the rest of geochronology. ( I assume from this Habermas rejects the so-called findings of Snelling and those connected with the RATE project.)

Second Fine Tuning arguments derive from those cosmologists who reject Multiverse arguments and again start from a 13 billion year old universe.

Third I find the Kalam argument fairly convincing but not 100% so would go further than Flew

However I have yet to find one argument emanating from ID, as cosmology and fine tuning do not, which are not totally unconvincing whether arguments for Irreducible Complexity IC which boil down to "We cant explain it, so God did it by intervening" (as argued by Plantinga), or Dembski's mathematical arguments.

I am glad that you accept all the arguments for billions of years and thus reject all the typical YEC arguments against as that means we are in close agreement

Michael

*I am trying to work out how Habermas can accept a 13by old universe when his university Liberty insist that all staff must believe in a young earth. Has he now left Liberty for doctrinal reasons?