Re: [asa] Theological Perspectives Without a Literal Adam

From: David Opderbeck <dopderbeck@gmail.com>
Date: Mon Aug 20 2007 - 19:41:39 EDT

Right, but even the "realist" view leaves difficult questions about
justice. I don't understand Augustine to be saying that our participation
in Adam's sin was somehow conscious for us. It seems to me that he's
operating under an assumption that the "germ" of each person is contained in
his or her predecessor. That "germ," in a sense, became "infected" when
Adam sinned. But the germ did not consciously participate in sin -- the
germ is not at "fault" in some kind of volitional, causal sense. So, it
seems to me, there is still the difficulty of people whose shoes are stapled
to the starting line through no "fault" of their own, whether the realist or
federal view is adopted -- unless it is a realist view that goes way beyond
Augustine and approaches a sort of Buddhist universal consciousness.

Mind you, I think original sin is clearly a scriptural concept, and I agree
that the empirical evidence for our bent towards sin is obvious. However,
I'm not sure resolving the justice questions about original sin can be
accomplished through the model of transmission selected. It seems to me
that these questions have to fall back to God's foreknowledge and
sovereignty, including his plan of salvation and his final plans for the
creation. And one reason Blocher's modified federal view is attractive is
that it might be easier to reconcile with the scientific evidence concerning
human development, whereas a realist view seems to require a more rigorous
monogenism.