Re: [asa] Tough question for TEs

From: D. F. Siemens, Jr. <dfsiemensjr@juno.com>
Date: Mon Aug 20 2007 - 16:17:23 EDT

On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 11:15:17 -0700 Brent Foster <bdffoster@charter.net>
writes:
> <snip>
> So why is a ressurrection necessary if physical death is not the
> concequence of sin? Those who see physical death as a consequence of
> sin see the ressurection as the reversal of the consequences of sin.
>
> I'm no Bible scholar, but in my view of the atonement, it really is
> necessary to have a real Jesus who really lived a sinnless life and
> died and suffered separation from God (spiritual death) to pay for
> our sins. But is the ressurrection necessary for atonement? Is it
> necessary demonstrate victory over the grave if the grave is not a
> consequence of sin?
>
> Brent

An obvious answer is that human beings are suited for "physical"
conditions for life. We are not suited for unembodied spiritual life. But
I understand that there is an Orthodox view that we will become gods.
Like the famous Westerner, theologians gallop madly off in all
directions.

Have you noted that Adam apparently could have lived forever, even in a
fallen state? The pair were therefore separated from the tree of life.
But if this is mythos rather than history, there is a completely
different interpretation required.
Dave (ASA)