Re: [asa] Tough question for TEs

From: David Opderbeck <dopderbeck@gmail.com>
Date: Mon Aug 20 2007 - 14:44:45 EDT

All tough and interesting questions.

On the question of physical human death, it seems to me that a "conditional
immortality" position can be helpful for those of us who lean towards TE
views. This view holds that Adam (or the first group of humans having the
image of God and represented by Adam) possessed ordinary human bodies that
are, in the usual course of things, subject to decay and death. However,
Adam would not have experienced death had he not sinned. Perhaps God would
have "caught up" Adam and his progeny as He did Enoch (with Adam then
remaining in fellowship with the "living" -- i.e., without the psychological
pain of separation); or perhaps if Adam and humanity had remained in perfect
fellowship with God and with each other, biotechnological means of
sustaining life would have been realized early on; or something along both
of these lines. The point is, Adam was *liable* to physical death, but he
did not *have to* experience it, at least not in the way we experience it
now as an absolute gulf between the dead and the living. A number of
conservative evangelical scholars hold this view (John Walton, Millard
Erickson).

The conditional immortality view seems to make sense in light of the
Resurrection. Through the Resurrection, Christ bridged the gap created by
sin -- he died, but he rose bodily and fellowships with us even now. He
thus began the restoration of the state in which humans do not *have
to*die, which will be completed for believers in the eschaton.
Perhaps our
resurrection bodies also will be a sort of "ordinary" body that conceivably
*could* die, but that *will not* die because the condition of death is
removed by Jesus' victory in the cross and Resurrection.