Re: [asa] What is life?

From: Terry M. Gray <grayt@lamar.colostate.edu>
Date: Mon Aug 20 2007 - 14:05:03 EDT

Christine,

I have to concur with George and David. Most of this comes under the
cultural mandate, where, indeed, we are called to be God's stewards,
exercising our "dominion" over the creation (and for the creation)
for His glory.

Is synthesizing new forms of matter "playing God"?
Is building Mount Rushmore "playing God"?
How about paving most of the farmland in the Chicago suburbs? Is that
"playing God"?
How about making eye-glasses or performing Lasik surgery?
How about treating disease? (There are some Christian traditions who
say that God alone heals and that medical interventions are a sign of
unbelief.)

I'm not convinced that biology is any different. Animal/plant
breeding for agricultural purposes has been going on for millennia.

Of course, this is not to say that we shouldn't reflect seriously on
the ethics of what we do or try to do. I think that's what Bedeau is
saying (even without knowing his philosophical or theological
perspective) when he calls us to "playing God" responsibly.

TG