Re: [asa] What is life?

From: George Murphy <gmurphy@raex.com>
Date: Mon Aug 20 2007 - 10:42:16 EDT

Ted Peters specially has emphasized that the phrase "playing God" is not very helpful. To quote him:

It will be my position that the phrase "playing God?" has very little cognitive value when looked at from the perspective of a theologian. Its primary role is that of a warning, such as the word "stop." In common parlance it has come to mean just that: stop. Within the gene myth it means that we should stop trying to engineer DNA. Theologically, however, there is at best only minimum warrant for using this phrase in such a conservative and categorical way.[i]

[i]. Ted Peters, Playing God? Genetic Determinism and Human Freedom (Routledge, New York, 1997), p.2.

(By "the gene myth" he means the idea that we are completely defined by our genes.)

I would add -

1) Although the phrase is certainly less than ideal, there is a sense in which we are supposed to "play God." I.e., as Gen.1:28 (& also Ps.115:16) indicate, we are to represent God in caring for creation.

2) It's essential to understand what God we are to "play." Patterning our activity on that of Christ - & that of the human race on the Trinity - is very different from playing the Cosmic President for Life who is the popular notion of God.

Shalom
George
http://web.raex.com/~gmurphy/