Re: [asa] Theological Perspectives Without a Literal Adam

From: George Murphy <gmurphy@raex.com>
Date: Mon Aug 20 2007 - 07:49:31 EDT

The basic problem with the "federal" view is that it makes God the creator of sin. To say that God "imputes" the sin of Adam to all his descendants is to say that God makes them all sinners because God's word is creative - what he says happens.

Some of the failure to understand this - & thus to accept this view - comes from the fact that the federal view supposedly parallels God's imputation of the righteousness of Christ to sinners in a forensic understanding of justification. Protestants (& I include Lutherans here) have often been so wary of Roman ideas about "infused righteousness" that they have failed to realize that "imputation" cannot in this case be a pure legal fiction. Again, God's word is creative and does what it says.

Shalom
George
http://web.raex.com/~gmurphy/