Re: [asa] FYI: Arrogance, dogma and why science - not faith - is the new enemy of

From: PvM <pvm.pandas@gmail.com>
Date: Sun Aug 19 2007 - 22:59:58 EDT

On 8/19/07, John Walley <john_walley@yahoo.com> wrote:
> This excerpt proves my point. Here Korthof concedes the limitation of random
> mutation to produce meaningful complexity in life like Behe says and instead
> turns the debate to put the onus on Behe to provide a theory of design, and
> then launches into a philosophical and theological debate on what God would
> or would not do. Korthof is equally lacking a theory of evolution to produce
> complexity if random mutation doesn't work.

some problems with this argument: First of all, Korthof explains the
difference between finding limits for the sake of limits versus the
process of finding limits to increase our understanding. Behe is doing
little to take his claimed 'limitations' to increase our
understanding. In fact, little of Behe's arguments seem to be
relevant.
Furthermore, I am somewhat at odds about your comment 'if random
mutation does not work'. Surely you must be familiar that random
mutation is a concept which is often misunderstood and furthermore,
random variation is but one of the Darwinian aspects.
When combined it is trivial to show how complexity can be produced.

> Behe is "driven by theological notions" but Korthof and the others are
> driven by naturalistic notions. Why does Behe have to produce an alternative
> to dismantle random mutation but Ken Miller and others dismantle irreducible
> complexity without offering any alternative? Why is one good science and the
> other "scientifically vacuous"?

FIrst of all Miller and others do offer alternatives, Behe basically
argues, based on flakey grounds that some system could not have arisen
by Darwinian processes, and that this does should count as evidence in
favor of intelligent design. There is however no reason for Behe to
take that final step, other than perhaps his theological presumptions.
If Behe wants to make his claims scientifically relevant he has to
show limitations and constraints, which would require him to go do the
road of theology, a road ID is desperately trying to avoid.

> I appreciate that Korthof below is gracious enough to offer that readers of
> Behe may find new insights. I think that because his rebuttal is entirely
> non-scientific, he like Coyne are both in this category, since they are now
> forced to take on the possibility of something besides naturalism producing
> life, thus these subjective, pejorative comments like "Great Mutator" and
> "bioterrorist".

The existence of this great mutator is nothing new to Behe's
arguments, it is a logical outcome of Behe's claims. There is no
reason however to take the claim that something besides 'naturalism'
is needed. In fact, ID proponents have done little to nothing to
support such a conclusion.

> It is appropriate that this thread is title "Arrogance" and "dogma". It
> should be obvious to all that there is a shifting double standard applied to
> ID and not mainstream science. The truth is that there is dogma on both
> sides, and both sides are just as guilty of appropriating the imprimatur of
> science for their dogma.

Other than the fact that one side has science on its side, the other
side, just pure ignorance. It's as much a double standard as the one
for a young earth, or other scientififcally irrelevant concepts.

> To be clear, I am not defending Behe's insistence on Design and I agree he
> crosses the line from science to faith there, but Darwinism has been on the
> other side of that line along. It is to Behe's credit that he is redrawing
> the line commensurate with what the science actually shows and doesn't show.

Is he really redrawing the line? Seems that he is attempting to swing
it across, while ignoring the scientific nature of his claims being
one of irrelevancy. What does science show and does not show? Behe
gives us no guidance as to how he reaches his conclusions here.

> This is what ID has contributed including Wells, by showing the limitations
> of the strict Darwinist dogma and the double standard shell game they hide
> behind to defend it.

Wells and ID have done little to show that science is erroneous,
instead they take some irrelevant claims and present them as a
strawman, only to knock them down.

As long as people confuse science with dogma, ID will continue to make
its waves, and continue to remain scientifically without any content.
If the best ID has done is to expose some strawmen then it seems to be
much ado about nothing.