Re: [asa] FYI: Arrogance, dogma and why science - not faith - is the new enemy of

From: PvM <pvm.pandas@gmail.com>
Date: Sun Aug 19 2007 - 21:56:42 EDT

Oops make that "The Edge of Evolution". So much new 'materials' coming
from the ID movement that it sometimes becomes confusing.

Gert Korthof's review is quite interesting
http://home.planet.nl/~gkorthof/korthof86.htm

<quote>It is possible that some readers will find new facts or
insights in The Edge of Evolution. It depends on the reader. However,
let this not distract us from the fact that the book does not deliver
a theory of design, but instead discusses the limits of evolution.
That is remarkable for someone who calls himself a proponent of
intelligent design. Yet, design dominates Behe's thinking, but it
easily escapes our notice that a crucial logical step is without
justification. Behe has given no reason for the main claim of his book
that the other side of the edge of evolution is the domain of design.
Indeed, why would a designer act according to design principles
determined completely by our 21st century knowledge of the world? On
an even deeper level it is unclear why a god would create anything at
all. One reason for the absence of a design theory is that one cannot
know what a designer would do or would not do, effectively closing of
any knowledge about the designers goals and methods. How can one
search for proofs under such conditions? The lack of positive
knowledge of design and designer forces Behe to focus exclusively on
the limits of Darwinian evolution. Another reason is that you can't
construct a theory on broken natural laws. That Behe still managed to
write an ID-book must be explained by the fact that he most certainly
has a theological theory - in his head. Driven by theological notions,
but prevented by a self-imposed restriction to talk about it, Behe
persistently searches for proofs of God in nature at all costs. The
final result is a clumsy, inefficient DNA-manipulator who needs
billions of years to create a human being and is a bioterrorist who
excels in making human life as miserable as possible. There could be
no greater incompatibility between claims that 99% of life was
designed and common descent. Common Descent is based on genetic
continuity in the history of life on earth and ultimately based on
unbroken natural law. Design, as Behe describes it, is based on the
discontinuity of the tree of life (broken natural law). Therefore,
design and common descent are incompatible. It is either design of
common descent. It is logically impossible to hold both.
</quote>

The key part is "Driven by theological notions, but prevented by a
self-imposed restriction to talk about it," since it is this which
renders ID scientifically vacuous. After all, if one is unwilling or
unable to describe the powers and limitations of the designer, it can
explain anything and thus nothing. In fact, by arguing for limits to
evolution, Behe is increasing the scientific status of evolutionary
theory. For Behe, these limits are the end of the research, for
science they form the beginning.

I always enjoyed Ruse's writings where he pointed out how history and
constraints are what guide evolution and give it a teleological
notion.