Re: [asa] Many Worlds Interpretation and ID

From: <philtill@aol.com>
Date: Sun Aug 19 2007 - 00:43:56 EDT

Moorad wrote:

> Note that measuring devices force the
> quantum system into the eigenvalues being measured. The latter is what the
> collapse of the wave function means.

Hi Moorad,

at the present I've been changing my views on QM and so I don't hold to CI any more (as I once did), but I want to point out that advocates of CI will not agree with what you wrote.? If something as macroscopic as Schroedinger's cat in a box can be supposed to exist in a superposition of states, then so can any sort of measuring equipment you might construct.? So in CI the measuring equipment, photographic film, etc., all remain in a superposition of states until a conscious being looks at it.? (I always wondered why the cat didn't count as conscious...)? Then and only then it collapses to a single state and it looks to you as if it had been reading some specific value before you showed up.? So in CI the wavefunction does not collapse when entangled with an instrument, but only when observed by a conscious being.? This view puts consciousness in a role that implies it is the most fundamental element of nature, so this is not a physicalist view.

?

CI is completely consistent with everything we can observe in physics at the present (perhaps until we learn more about consciousness or the nature of time, etc.)? IMO it is presently a matter of metaphysics or personal preference which view we choose to believe.

?

Phil