[asa] Theological Perspectives Without a Literal Adam

From: David Opderbeck <dopderbeck@gmail.com>
Date: Sat Aug 18 2007 - 17:57:12 EDT

I'm researching Christian theological perspectives in which a literal,
individual Adam is not central. Are there major streams of Christian
thought / confessional or denominational settings, and/or recognized streams
within broader traditions, in which affirming a literal Adam is not an
important concern? I'm aware of some of the specific articles in
publications such as PSCF, such as George Murphy's recent article, on this
question, but what I'm trying to suss out is the importance of a literal
Adam to the Christian tradition generally. Does the willingness to suggest
a non-literal Adam place one outside the flow of every major branch of the
tradition?

Ancillary to this, are there any scholars who could be classified as
"evangelical" who are willing to entertain a non-literal Adam? (I take it
from my own study and experience that mainstream evangelical perspectives on
scripture and hermeneutics, as well as evangelicalism's generally
Augustinian view of original sin, renders the possibility of a non-literal
Adam difficult).