Re: [asa] Many Worlds Interpretation and ID

From: Dave Wallace <wdwllace@sympatico.ca>
Date: Sat Aug 18 2007 - 16:24:22 EDT

Question

As I recall from my reading the collapse of the wave function in the
Copenhagen Interpretation or splitting off of another universe in the
MWI, occurs when a quantum event like:
1.radioactive decay occurs
2.the position/momentum of an electron or other small particle is measured
and a conscious individual is aware of the result.

What about the case where a conscious individual observes a source of
light? The observed photons typically are generated when an electron
falls from one energy state to another. Is such photon generation a
collapse of the wave function? What other things cause the collapse of
the wave function or splitting off of another universe?

Does the collapse of the wave function always require a conscious
individual in the loop?

Dave W (CSCA)