Re: [asa] The Message

From: Dave Wallace <wdwllace@sympatico.ca>
Date: Sat Aug 18 2007 - 16:06:51 EDT

Vernon Jenkins wrote:

> Iain,

> " A short while ago you countered Peter's comment "Mythical Adam,
> literal Christ doesn't add up" with the _OK button/Enter key_
> metaphor. I gather, then, that you believe in a _mythical_ Adam. May I
> therefor inquire about his descendants - the Antediluvian Patriarchs -
> listed in Genesis 5. Are they also, in your view, mythical? And what
> about Adam's son, Abel, whom the Lord clearly supposed was a _real
> person_ (Mt.23:35, Lk.11:51)? Was the Lord misguided in his belief?"
>
> you wrote,
>
> "That's a difficult question to answer because we don't know. Christ may
> have been referring to these people figuratively, just as I might talk
> about what happened to Frodo, or Alice in Wonderland, or Christopher
> Robin as if they were real people, which doesn't imply that I actually
> believe they were real.
> "I do not know about the historicity of Adam and the antedeluvian
> patriarchs. I think the most likely explanation is that they may well
> have been real historical characters, about which little was known, but
> to whom legends became attached, and acquired important meanings for us.

Iain
What you said above about the historicity of early Genesis is said
very well! I tend to argue both with those who say there is no or
very little historicity and those who say it is all historical to the
smallest degree and tend to take the same position that you articulated.
Dave W

Vernon wrote
> I find your answer to these questions most depressing. You may remember, our Lord warned that "No man can serve two masters...". Why? Because the inevitable outcome is that "he will hold to (or love) the one, and despise (or hate) the other."(Mt.6:24) Can't you see that Darwinism behaves as a _cuckoo_ in the Christian 'nest'. Its inevitable characteristic, once installed, is to dominate and dictate the agenda in respect of what may, or may not, be accepted of the Judeo- Christian Scriptures. Thus, you have unwittingly become an accomplice of those forces whose declared aim is the destruction of the God's Word! If you can't trust the Lord in respect of Abel - whose father, Adam, must also have been 'flesh and blood' - what is there left of his (the Lord's) teaching that you can trust?!
>
> A favourite hymn of mine has the refrain, "On Christ, the solid rock, I stand; all other ground is sinking sand."

Iain wrote
This is a lamentable piece of sanctimonious preaching, and perfectly
illustrates the point I was trying to make.

I have always believed that the numerical patterns you have found in Gen
1:1 and also in John 1:1 are deliberate and intentional.

However, I think it is utterly wrong to use them as a kind of battering
ram so somehow shame people into rejecting the theory of evolution,
which is not, as you suggest, a "master". We have been over this ground
before, and you're not giving any evidence of having listened.

Iain
As someone who has mainly just followed this thread your response to
Vernon's diatribe above seems right on.

Dave W (CSCA)