Re: [asa] Designed Kangaroos?

From: Janice Matchett <janmatch@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed Aug 15 2007 - 11:31:37 EDT

>At 03:44 PM 7/27/2007, David Opderbeck wrote:
>
>>Michael said: I don't see design and evolution in contradiction but
>>I would want to ask why God designed the Ebola virus.
>
>>Do you think the Ebola virus is "evil?" Or is the "evil" the
>>suffering it causes in people? If the evil is the latter, maybe
>>the better question is, "why doesn't God enable people to develop
>>the technology to prevent people from being infected and/or
>>affected by the Ebola virus?" Reframed that way, maybe some of the
>>traditional Christian theodicies provide more meaningful
>>answers. What technologies would humans have been able to develop
>>if human society had proceeded in perfect fellowship with God and
>>among people -- i.e., if we had not sinned?
>
>@ Algore's eco-wacko followers would want science to "design" an
>Ebola virus if one didn't exist.
>Newsweek Warmly Imagines Virus Wiping Out Man, Earth's 'Most
>Disruptive Species'
>http://www.newsbusters.org/node/14173 July 17, 2007 - 22:52 ET ~ Janice

@@ Just adding more to my comments about the "evil mind-set of the
extremists" which I posted on 7/17/07 (above):

Paul "Population Bomb" Ehrlich must be proud of his legacy [see
below]. http://www.amazon.com/Population-Bomb-Paul-R-Ehrlich/dp/1568495870

It is hilarious to read the reviews of his book on Amazon. Here's one review:

"Are people STILL listening to this guy? If so, it has more to do
with prejudices and uninformed--uninformable--paranoia than with
scientific or logical merit. Ehrlich, in this seasoned tome,
preserves for the ages some of his greatest nonsensical howlers about
the catastrophic growth of human population in the face of vanishing
resources and inadequate food. None of them was remotely close to the
mark, but that doesn't stop people who so desperately _want_ our
evil, soulless modern world to be brought down for its sins, that
they cast aside failure of his models and predictions, and refuse to
see that the world has debunked him. Ehrlich's fatal flaw is easy
to see and sum up. Sure, he was a biologist who studied populations,
but populations of _insects_. And human beings--get ready for a
shock--are not insects. We can innovate, invent, learn, and improve.
I believe that that is something worth thinking about, even if
Ehrlich does not. ~ Craig Kenneth Bryant

Some examples of his legacy:

Jeff Hoffman, environmental attorney, wrote on grist.org, "Malaria
was actually a natural population control, and DDT has caused a
massive population explosion in some places where it has eradicated
malaria. More fundamentally, why should humans get priority over
other forms of life? . . . I don't see any respect for mosquitos in
these posts."

"... Alexander King, co-founder of the Club of Rome, said, "In
Guyana, within almost two years, it [DDT] had almost eliminated
malaria, but at the same time, the birth rate had doubled. So my
chief quarrel with DDT in hindsight is that it greatly added to the
population problem." [Because it saved lives].

*
"How many people are aware that the foam keeps falling off the
Shuttle because NASA had to stop using a superior adhesive that used
CFCs? During the Cl*ton years, the EPA banned the adhesive because it
might damage the ozone layer. Instead the foam fell off and killed 9
astronauts and destroyed a multibillion dollar Shuttle." ~ Poster #
<http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1881377/posts?page=11#11>11

Deadly Environmentalists
By Walter E. Williams
Wednesday, August 15, 2007
http://www.townhall.com/columnists/WalterEWilliams/2007/08/15/deadly_environmentalists

Environmentalists [the extremists, not the sound-minded
conservationists], with the help of politicians and other government
officials, have an agenda that has cost thousands of American lives.

In the wake of Hurricane Betsy, which struck New Orleans in 1965, the
U.S. Army Corps of Engineers proposed building flood gates on Lake
Pontchartrain, like those in the Netherlands that protect cities from
North Sea storms.

In 1977, the gates were about to be built, but the Environmental
Defense Fund and Save Our Wetlands sought a court injunction to block
the project.

According to John Berlau's recent book,
"Eco-Freaks: Environmentalism is Hazardous to Your
Health,"
http://www.amazon.com/Eco-Freaks-Environmentalism-Hazardous-Your-Health/dp/1595550674

U.S. Attorney Gerald Gallinghouse told the court that not building
the gates could kill thousands of New Orleanians.

Judge Charles Schwartz issued the injunction despite the evidence
refuting claims of environmental damage.

We're told that DDT is harmful to humans and animals. Berlau, a
research fellow at the Washington, D.C-based Competitive Enterprise
Institute, says, "Not a single study linking DDT exposure to human
toxicity has ever been replicated." ...

Despite evidence that, properly used, DDT is neither harmful to
humans nor animals, environmental extremists fight for a continued ban.

This has led to millions of illnesses and deaths from malaria,
especially in Africa. After WWII, DDT saved millions upon millions of
lives in India, Southeast Asia and South America. In some cases,
malaria deaths fell to near zero. With bans on DDT, malaria deaths
and illnesses have skyrocketed.

Environmental extremists see DDT in a different light. Alexander
King, co-founder of the Club of Rome, said, "In Guyana, within almost
two years, it had almost eliminated malaria, but at the same time,
the birth rate had doubled. So my chief quarrel with DDT in hindsight
is that it greatly added to the population problem."

Jeff Hoffman, environmental attorney, wrote on grist.org, "Malaria
was actually a natural population control, and DDT has caused a
massive population explosion in some places where it has eradicated
malaria. More fundamentally, why should humans get priority over
other forms of life? . . . I don't see any respect for mosquitos in
these posts."

  Berlau's book cites many other examples of contempt for human life
by environmentalists and how they've made politicians their useful idiots.

In 2001, thousands of Americans perished in the terrorist attack on
the World Trade Center. In the early 1970s, when the World Trade
Center complex was built, the asbestos scare had just begun. The
builders planned to use AsbestoSpray, a flame retardant that adhered
to steel. The New York Port of Authority caved in to the
environmentalists' asbestos scare and denied its use. An inferior
substitute was used as fireproofing.

After the attack, the National Institute of Standards and Technology
(NIST) confirmed other experts' concerns about asbestos substitutes,
concluding, "Even with the airplane impact and jet-fuel-ignited
multi-floor fires, which were not normal building fires, the building
would likely not have collapsed had it not been for the fireproofing."

Through restrictions on asbestos use, our naval vessels are more
vulnerable to our enemies, a disaster waiting in the wings.

The Columbia spaceship disaster was a result of the EPA's demand that
NASA not use freon in its thermal insulating foam.

Congress mandates auto fuel mileage standards -- Corporate Average
Fuel Economy, or CAFE, standards -- resulting in lighter, less
crashworthy cars.

In 2002, the National Academy of Sciences calculated that CAFE
standards caused 2,000 additional traffic deaths each year. In 1999,
a USA Today analysis of government and Insurance Institute data found
that since the 1970s CAFE standards went into effect, 46,000 people
died in crashes which they would have likely survived had they been
riding in heavier cars.

None of this is news to politicians. It's just that environmental
extremists have the ears of politicians, and potential victims don't.

Dr. Williams serves on the faculty of George Mason University as John
M. Olin Distinguished Professor of Economics and is the author of
<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0817996125/ref=nosim/townhallcom>More
Liberty Means Less Government: Our Founders Knew This Well.

~ Janice