Re: [asa] Many Worlds Interpretation and ID

From: David Campbell <pleuronaia@gmail.com>
Date: Tue Aug 14 2007 - 16:12:13 EDT

The implications of many world hypotheses for ID depend both on the
variant of many worlds and on the variant of ID. In quantum many
world models, where every possible quantum outcome occurs in a
particular universe, the laws of physics are the same in each. This
doesn't affect appeals to the anthropic principle, but it may address
the probabilistic arguments of Dembski et al. String theory many
worlds posits that any consistent set of strings exists as a universe,
producing different fundamental constants and forces.

Arguments for or against anthropic principle claims (including
multiverse models) cannot provide any firm basis because we have no
data on the distribution of important parameters in different
universes. We have a sample size of one. That's more than enough to
publish a molecular clock paper, but it doesn't provide any
statistical validity. Even in an infinitely large sample, there's no
guarantee that a particular value is within the distribution. E.g.,
no amount of sampling numbers from 1 to 10 will yield 100. Thus, even
in an infinite number of universes it's possible that the parameters
observed in our universe are exceptional. On the other hand, the
distribution could be tightly clustered around parameter values that
allow intelligent life. (An invalid argument for this is the fact
that a randomly sampled universe is likely to be within, e.g., 95% of
the mean of of 95% of the parameters. However, our universe is not a
random sample. This invalid argument was published in Discover ca.
late 1980's; the same reasoning was used in a letter to the editor in
Science or Nature in the mid-1990's to prove that the Pope is an
alien-the letter authors failed to find their fallacy.) The fact that
God determines the parameters is another uncalcuable component.

--
Dr. David Campbell
425 Scientific Collections