Re: [asa] FW: Resource on Islam and science

From: Robert Schneider <schneider98@gmail.com>
Date: Mon Aug 13 2007 - 14:57:50 EDT

If you google his name, you'll learn that Pervez Hoodbhoy has been one of
the leading figures in promoting the dialogue between religion and science
in Islam.

Bob

On 8/13/07, Alexanian, Moorad <alexanian@uncw.edu> wrote:

> August 2007
>
> [Permission to reprint or copy this article/photo must be obtained from
> Physics Today. Call 301-209-3042 or e-mail rights@aip.org with your
> request.]
>

> ���
> Issues and Events
> Saudi Arabia sets up research university
> The King Abdullah University of Science and Technology aims to become a
> world-class institution.
>
> August 2007, page 33
>

> King Abdullah
> Ground was broken this spring on the King Abdullah University of Science
> and Technology in Saudi Arabia. With a roughly $10 billion endowment, KAUST
> will be among the richest universities in the world. Pointing to earlier
> failed—but less well-funded—ventures, skeptics say the country would be
> better served by improving its existing educational system.
>
> KAUST was the brainchild of King Abdullah bin Abdulaziz Al Saud; on top of
> providing the endowment, he is spending more than $3 billion on the KAUST
> campus and a university town on the Red Sea, about 170 kilometers northwest
> of Mecca. "It has been our leader's dream for many, many years to represent
> Saudi Arabia as a major contributor in technology and research, and also to
> drive the kingdom's economy to be more of a knowledge economy," says Nadhmi
> Al-Nasr, the interim president of KAUST.
>
> International and interdisciplinary
>

> Library and sea court of KAUST
> With interdisciplinary institutions rather than traditional departments,
> KAUST will start off with four research focuses—energy and environment,
> biosciences and engineering, materials science and engineering, and applied
> math and computational science. "We would like to address technical problems
> that are facing us as a nation but also the region and the world," says
> Al-Nasr. Solar energy and water desalination are examples, he adds. The
> university will offer only graduate degrees, and the aim is to build up to
> about 600 faculty members and a student body of 2000, with about a third of
> each from Saudi Arabia. Classes will be taught in English.
>
> "We are creating this from zero," Al-Nasr says, "so almost everything we
> do is a challenge. We know what it takes to become a world-class
> institution—world-class faculty, world-class students, and world-class
> research." Over the past few years, he adds, Saudi Arabia has been
> undertaking a "massive reassessment of the whole education system in the
> kingdom—not only higher education but also primary and secondary education."
> At present, he notes, Saudi Arabia invests minimally in research. "We are
> not proud of where we stand today, but we are confident that with all of
> these initiatives, topped by KAUST, that percentage [of the gross domestic
> product invested in research] will eventually match western countries."
>
> The university is launching several initiatives this year to cultivate
> [...]

Robert J. Schneider
187 Sierra Vista
Boone, NC, 28607
828-264-4071
"Science and Faith: perspectives on Christianity and science:
http://community.berea.edu/scienceandfaith/.
"A Catechism of Creation: An Episcopal Understanding":
www.episcopalchurch.org/science/.