Re: [asa] Global Warming 'Deniers' Article 'Highly Contrived' per Newsweek Editor

From: PvM <pvm.pandas@gmail.com>
Date: Mon Aug 13 2007 - 12:53:42 EDT

And for those who can read, the NASA website mentions the history of
GISTEMP quite clearly

<quote>
Background

The NASA GISS surface temperature analysis (GISTEMP) provides a
measure of the changing global surface temperature with monthly
resolution for the period since 1880, when a reasonably global
distribution of meteorological stations was established. Input data
for the analysis, collected by many national meteorological services
around the world, is the unadjusted data of the Global Historical
Climatology Network (Peterson and Vose, 1997) except that the USHCN
station records included were replaced by a later corrected version.
Documentation of our analysis is provided by Hansen et al. (1999),
with several modifications described by Hansen et al. (2001). Although
the GHCN source data includes some records prior to 1880, and we have
not excluded that earlier data from analysis, we have made no attempt
to verify the validity or accuracy of the early station records, which
tend to have greater errors and inhomogeneities.

The current GISS analysis is updated monthly. Differences with our
1999 analysis are minor on the global scale but significant in some
local cases. We will continue to make the GISS 1999 analysis available
for at least a year, but it is not updated.

We modify the GHCN/USHCN data in two stages to get to the station data
on which all our tables, graphs, and maps are based: in stage 1 we try
to combine at each location the time records of the various sources;
in stage 2 we adjust the non-rural stations in such a way that their
longterm trend of annual means is as close as possible to that of the
mean of the neighboring rural stations. Non-rural stations that cannot
be adjusted are dropped.

Our analysis includes results for a global temperature index as
described by Hansen et al. (1996). The temperature index is formed by
combining the meteorological station measurements over land with sea
surface temperatures obtained primarily from satellite measurements
(Reynolds and Smith, 1994; Smith, Reynolds, Livesay and Stokes, 1996).
Any uses of the temperature index data, that is the results including
sea surface temperatures, should credit Reynolds and Smith (1994) and
Smith et al. (1996).

Reprints of our papers can be obtained by sending e-mail to Dr. James
Hansen</quote>