Re: [asa] Designed Kangaroos?

From: Iain Strachan <igd.strachan@gmail.com>
Date: Wed Aug 08 2007 - 19:36:35 EDT

With reference to your two points:

> (1) while we may not agree on their _purpose_, the observed phenomena
> constitute clear and objective evidence of _supernatural activity_ do they
> not?

I think when you put it like that it puts people off. Putting it like that
leaves people no way to disagree - and when they do you tell them that it's
because they are sinful. That's the problem with your entire approach, and
why you have made no progress with getting people to take these findings
seriously. As I've said in the past, there seem to be three alternatives:

(1) Pure coincidence.
(2) Human design.
(3) Supernatural design.

Having looked at cases in music where composers have used number symbolism
(sometimes openly admitting it), it has always been clear to me that the
patterns in Genesis 1:1 that you found are far more detailed and impressive
than anything I've seen in music (for which there is little dispute that
it's human design). Hence (1) seems ruled out - the observed pattern
indicates strongly deliberate intent.

(2) would not stack up with my experience of other humans writing to
"numerical constraints", which invariably leads to twisted and contorted
syntax, often with little meaning or literary merit, apart from the author's
ingenuity in getting the text to obey numerical constraints. Note that it's
much harder to do this with text (getting the numeric values to add up to a
specified value) than it would be for music (contriving the bar/note counts
to make a particular total). Music can be "shaped" without destroying the
meaning, in a way that text can't be.

This seems to leave (3) as the most likely possibility. However, I think
rather than ramming it down peoples throats that "this is a clear miracle
and if you can't see it then it's because you are wicked", it would be
better (and more humble) to invite people to see if they can come up with a
more plausible explanation.

and

> (2) Dave (Wallace) appears to think I am engaged in some form of
> Gnosticism. Would that now be your own view?

No, it wouldn't be my own view. However, it's easy to see why this might be
viewed as such. The following sentence from the Wikipedia article on
Gnosticism shows why:

In order to free oneself from the inferior material world, one needs
gnosis<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gnosis>,
or esoteric <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Esoteric> spiritual knowledge
available only to a learned elite.

As I've explained, probably 99.9% of people aren't able to comprehend the
significance of the numerical patterns you discovered. So this knowledge is
indeed only available to a small "elite" group of people. For most people
the properties of numbers don't matter. When Dick Fischer boasted of his
163 missions over Vietnam, the first thing that struck me was that 163 is a
prime number. But then I'm a peculiar person in that respect. Most people
wouldn't even think about that sort of thing. Likewise in my last job, my
office phone number was a perfect square. But for most people it's just a
phone number.

It is of note that the "Matrix" trilogy of films was influenced stongly by
ideas from Gnostic Christianity, and these films are full of hidden,
esoteric messages, and number symbolism etc etc that most people miss the
first time round till some fan on a fan website points it out. For example,
in the first film, there is a central character called Neo, who is a clear
analogue of Christ. It's been noted that Neo is an anagram of One, as in
"The chosen One". In one of the scenes in the film, a nameplate on a space
ship shows at the bottom "Mark 11 number 3" as a serial number. The scene
shows Neo staring directly at it. If you look up Mark 11:3 you will see it
says "You are the Son of God". Thus this "hidden message", disguised as a
serial number on a nameplate, underscores the intent of the authors of the
film in making Neo a Christ analogue. It might well be argued that your
patterns are also "hidden messages", and hence some "special knowledge".

Hope this clarifies somewhat.
Iain

With every good wish,