Re: [asa] Designed Kangaroos?

From: Iain Strachan <igd.strachan@gmail.com>
Date: Sat Aug 04 2007 - 17:16:10 EDT

Vernon,

As a matter of fact, a few years back when I first came across your
findings, I DID present them to an atheist colleague. They had precisely no
effect. He argued that

(1) Human beings are good at spotting patterns even in random sequences.
(2) Even given the sequence is deliberate, it could have been achieved (in
his opinion) by a genius working on the first sentence for 20 years.

(Both of these arguments have been presented, in one form or other on this
list. While I don't agree with that, it seems to me that all you do in
response to it is to tell everyone how wicked they are, which really doesn't
help your case at all).

When I first wrote to you concerning your website, I asked you what it was
FOR. (The numerical patternings). The overwhelming evidence, given the
colleague, I see that there is little point in presenting the findings
(fascinating and an unresolved mystery though they are) to colleagues. It
would be much better to present them the Gospel. But before even that, we
have to get through the fact that the most visible thing evangelical
Christians are doing at the moment is opposing Darwinism, and coming up with
the most ridiculous pseudo-science to justify it. That gets in the way of
the Gospel.

Let me ask you; what is the more important thing to explain to
non-believers - (1) That Jesus died for their sins so they might have
eternal life, or (2) That the numerical value of Genesis 1:1 is 37x73?

Your website "whatabeginning" states at the start that it is dedicated to
the service of Jesus Christ. The it goes into a rant about Darwinism.
Where does it tell me what the Gospel is? I searched for the word "gospel"
on that page, and found it conspicuously absent.

In fact, I conducted an "Advanced" Google search for the word "Gospel" on "
whatabeginning.com" and found only four occurrences on the whole website.
Three of these just referred to "John's Gospel", and a forth referred to the
"gospel message", without explaining what it was. Likewise there was only
one reference to "crucified", again without the slightest explanation of WHY
Jesus was crucified.

The numerical phenomena are fascinating, and in need of exploration and
explanation, but it seems to me that as a apologetic site, you MUST think
about telling people in clear and simple language, in a prominent place what
the Gospel message is. Because that, through the action of the Holy Spirit,
is what is going to convict people, and not evidence of numerical design.

Iain