Re: [asa] Designed Kangaroos?

From: D. F. Siemens, Jr. <dfsiemensjr@juno.com>
Date: Sat Aug 04 2007 - 15:17:41 EDT

Let's try a quotation from the Bishop of Hippo, Aurelius Augustinus,
/City of God/, XVI, 9:

But they do not remark that, although it be supposed or scientifically
demonstrated that the world is of a round or spherical form, yet it does
not follow that the other side of the earth is bare of water; nor even,
though it be bare, does it immediately follow that it is peopled.

In chapter 7 he notes that animals may have been brought forth on distant
islands, which they otherwise could not have reached.

Of course, "everybody knows" that earlier scholars (Aristotle, the
Pythagoreans, Eratosthenes, for example) could not have known that the
earth is spherical.

The later Archbishop of Canterbury is also known as St. Austin.
Dave (ASA)