Re: [asa] Designed Kangaroos?

From: Iain Strachan <igd.strachan@gmail.com>
Date: Fri Aug 03 2007 - 12:49:40 EDT

On 8/3/07, Vernon Jenkins <vernon.jenkins@virgin.net> wrote:

> Seekers of Truth,
>
> Congratulations, Michael! It's a pity that your adherence to the
> inquisitiveness that is expected of a scientist doesn't match your zeal for
> internet sleuthing! Am I to understand that Peter's association with Dr
> Andrew Snelling is to be regarded as a _cardinal sin_? Instead of breathing
> out fire and brimstone like Saul of old, why not focus your attention on
> finding acceptable answers to the following:

The answer to that is pretty simple. I think Peter is being disingenuous by
not being up-front about his evident YEC connections. I note that when I
challenged him about some of the more ludicrous YEC absurdities ( where did
all the poo go on the Ark - discussed by John Woodmorappe in his book
"Noah's Ark - A feasibility Study"), that Peter just said that he'd not
raised such issues. But nonetheless these are the issues propagated by
YEC's and that get noticed by people who then use it as an excuse to say
that Christianity is bunk. Therefore Michael is quite right to make it
clear exactly where Peter is coming from.

Let me say, finally, that I am intrigued that Iain (who has first-hand
> knowledge of the biblical phenomena alluded to earlier) apparently failed to
> challenge his atheist colleagues with these mathematical certainties.

OK, Vernon, you tell me just how many atheists you know whom you've
successfully challenged over the numerical structure of Gen 1:1, and how
many have come to faith as a result of that challenge?

I looked into the numerical structures you found and concluded that they
were of deliberate intent and also, having looked wider into it, that it
seemed unlikely that they were of deliberate human origin.

However I NEVER went as far as you in claiming that this was some sort of
proof that the Genesis narratives had to be interpreted literally.

If you can show me concrete evidence that this is a powerful apologetic tool
THAT HAS BROUGHT ATHEISTS TO CHRIST then I'll consider it. If you can't
then you have no reason to be "intrigued" by the fact I haven't drawn
attention to it. The answer is plain and evident. It's not meant for that.

So here's the challenge for you Vernon. How many atheists have been
converted by your numerical findings?

Iain