Re: [asa] Designed Kangaroos?

From: Michael Roberts <michael.andrea.r@ukonline.co.uk>
Date: Fri Aug 03 2007 - 08:59:24 EDT

Tut, tut Iain You are getting as bad as me!

An excellent quote. There are many things we should be flexible about when there is insufficient to make a firm conclusion. On the interpretation of Gen 1-3 people were flexible about it up to about 1820, when no reasonable person could question the vast age of the earth. Before that there was little consensus, except that very few went for a strict 6 day creation - Ussher was a minority. Most Christian savants had no problem with an increasing amount of geological time, but then numbers of them were developing the geology behind the time.

As for death before the Fall and predation, as this became apparent just before 1800, most weren't concerned because it was not seen as important either way and so it was adopted WITHOUT any concern over the atonement.

I began my chapter in Myth and Geology with the following;

In the year 1550, no educated person doubted that the earth was only a few thousand years old, but by the year 1860, no educated person doubted that

the earth was millions of years old. No better comment of the conservative Anglican view in the 1860s can be found than in Samuel Wilberforce's

'Answers to Essay and Reviews' where one contributor, the astronomer the Revd Richard Main, wrote 'Some school-books still teach to the ignorant

that the earth is 6000 years old . . . . No welleducated person of the present day shares that delusion'.

PICCARDI, L. & MASSE, W. B. (eds) Myth and Geology.

Geological Society, London, Special Publications, 273, 39-49.

0305-8719/07/$15.00 # The Geological Society of London 2007.

Michael