Re: [asa] Designed Kangaroos?

From: Iain Strachan <igd.strachan@gmail.com>
Date: Fri Aug 03 2007 - 07:02:16 EDT

A final comment that I hope Peter (and I wish all YEC's) would take on
board:

Consistent with the claim that Genesis 1-3 is difficult and obscure,
Augustine repeatedly urges restraint, flexibility, openness to new
interpretations, and openness to new knowledge that may provide insight into
the text. He says that "in matters that are obscure and far beyond our
vision ... we should not rush in headlong and so firmly take our stand on
one side that, if further progress in the search of truth justly undermines
this position, we too fall with it. That would be to battle not for the
teaching of Holy Scripture but for our own, wishing its teaching to conform
to ours, whereas we ought to wish ours to conform to that of Sacred
Scripture" (p. 41).
The full article is at
http://www.asa3.org/ASA/topics/Bible-Science/PSCF3-88Young.html

Davis Young is quoting St. Augustine from "City of God".

Bold emphasis mine. Peter, stop trying to force things to conform to your
narrow view of scripture. The search for truth has for a long time justly
undermined the Young Earth view that the earth is only a few thousand years
old. To try and twist science to conform to your pre-ordained view is to
propagate falsehood and dishonesty, and is to be fought against vehemently.
[ I'd like to add that when I was sympathetic to YEC I got to review
articles for the AiG Tech Journal. I've never seen such utter rubbish and
drivel in all my life. I rejected virtually every single one & it was clear
that the people who wrote them were intelligent scientists, who were
nonetheless in the grip of a vast delusion that made them ignore anything
that didn't fit].

Iain