RE: [asa] Designed Kangaroos?

From: Peter Loose <peterwloose@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu Aug 02 2007 - 12:13:39 EDT

  _____

From: asa-owner@lists.calvin.edu [mailto:asa-owner@lists.calvin.edu] On
Behalf Of Iain Strachan
Sent: Thursday, August 02, 2007 4:19 PM
To: Peter Loose
Cc: dopderbeck@gmail.com; Michael Roberts; asa@calvin.edu
Subject: Re: [asa] Designed Kangaroos?

I'll just address your problem "Mythical Adam ... Literal Christ" - doesn't
add up.

Why doesn't it?

Going back to the computer world "Hit the Enter key or click on OK" adds up
perfectly. But the Enter key is a literal physical key on the keyboard, and
the OK button is a metaphor - an illusion created by the computer.

That still adds up fine to me and I'm sure it does to you. Iain - I'm
totally blank here - I don't see any relevance to my original question about
parallelism Adam-Christ.

----
And as I said, but can't cite the source except that it was an industrial
chaplain, in the Jewish way of thinking the important question is not "did
it happen?" but "what does it mean?". Iain - I find that all so post-modern.
It is an irrelevant question to ask what something means if that event did
not take place.
You may ask why I go on about it so much.  It's because the cause of the
gospel is damaged.  How can I be an effective witness to atheist colleagues
when they dig up laughable things like where all the poo went on the ark, or
the fact that they had to take baby dinosaurs on the ark to make room for
all of them?  We're giving the scoffers plenty to scoff about, which isn't
even biblical.  Then there's the RATE project that asserts that 90% of all
radioactive decay happened during day 3 of creation week - leaving unsolved
the simple fact that it would have raised the temperature to 22,000 C -
sufficient to vapourise the planet.  I have to ask myself "what on earth has
all this bad science got to do with the gospel?"
Iain - I have never raised any of the material you cite - I am simply
discussing the Biblical revelation concerning the nature of Man and the Fall
of Man. However on your general point as I deduce them, isn't the Cross
itself an offence? Man has laughed at the Lord for most of recorded history.
If they'll kill the Lord Himself then that shows the nature of man.
Discussing things like poo on the Ark etc is quite irrelevant. So mocking
and scoffing of 'men' is really part of the tragic world we live in.
Iain
bringing forward leaves the problem precisely where it always is for a
non-literal, figurative Adam. It is "Mythical Adam, literal Christ - doesn't
add up". Or to put it another way, the phrase is a mismatch and thus seems
to be devoid of significant meaning.

Blessings

Peter

  _____