Re: [asa] Designed Kangaroos?

From: George Cooper <georgecooper@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed Aug 01 2007 - 19:24:05 EDT

I also favor the need to honor a historical perspective to the fall as well. The event is clearly described as an act of sin. It is a powerful story and one that is extremely important to our relationship with G-D, and it is specific so as to make allegory more difficult.

Could there, however, be an exegesis that offers credibility for a historical, perhaps literal, interpretation? YEC may yet be correct in seeing certain passages as literal that were meant to be taken as literal, though it seems their interpretations have gotten way off track. I regret that Ian's description of absurdity for some of their views is correct.

There are a number of interesting points in the scripture that suggests, to me at least, that there is more here than seems normally considered. The portion of scripture that should be taken literal must be in accord with science, eventually. Any conflict could be either due to misinterpretation of scripture or of data. Yet, scientific convergence in many theories is so strong, misinterpretation of scripture, for those in conflict, seems evident.

Forgive me for throwing this load out to you, but I can't get it off my mind. Here are some points suggesting a possible concordance.

Evolution, complete with viruses, appears to be a fantastic auto-designing tool, which is extermely effective given enough time in the right environments. If this was the process for His normal creation and he made Adam and Eve special, would He not place them in a special envrionment to prevent complications.

Consider where the garden was loated, at or near the top of a major mountain (4 headwaters ran through it). How accesible was the garden to others, and could this be the reason for the garden's location?

Why did they not have the whole Earth to roam? Outside the Garden, perhaps normal life, as discovered by science, existed in accord with established evidence.

Could G-D maintain special action to prevent or counter the normal decay processes for his special two individuals, as well as, other life forms in the Garden? Yet, He could let His evolutionary model mature life outside the Garden. G-D is not constrained by time, which He created, so I believe He did not have to guess we would fail Him; He saw it coming.

Is the statement that there was "not a man to till the ground", and odd one? Where did agriculture begin and when? I think I am correct that the evidence still points to about 10,000 years ago in the fertile crescent (near the Garden).

...And much more such references suggests to me that force does not have to be used against science to allow a historical, even literal, account. Of course, if YEC claims there views are cast in concrete, then I must agree, though I see it headed closer and closer to the deep river.

YEC claims sadden me because those in my church who are strong supporters of YEC are actually wonderful people who do good works. As a result, we all tend to work on unity and stick with the tenets of our faith. We are all blessed by it. However, these views that I wish to discuss stay suppressed. I need a place to present them, people who are more knowledgeable than I. Ok, you know where I'm going with this. Hope you don't mind me too much.

Helio