Re: [asa] Designed Kangaroos?

From: Iain Strachan <igd.strachan@gmail.com>
Date: Wed Aug 01 2007 - 17:25:20 EDT

Peter

On 7/28/07, Peter Loose <peterwloose@compuserve.com> wrote:

> Iain and Friends:
>

> I find this stance in respect of 'bad things being literally due to one
> historical woman and her husband eating a piece of fruit' to be very sad.

Sorry, but that is exactly what my YEC friends tell me. That the fall is a
literal historical event, tied precisely to Adam and Eve eating the fruit,
literally on a given day. As direct result of this God put the curse on the
whole of creation, and from thenceforth all the bad things happened.
"Carnivory" started up (I've even seen articles on this on the AiG website),
animals started eating each other.

The logical extension to this is that to answer Michael's pointed question
as to why God "designed" the Ebola virus is that Adam's specific act of
disobedience in eating the forbidden fruit was the direct reason that God
made this happen.

My creationist friends tell me that the whole Gospel falls apart if you
don't accept this.

I agree - the whole stance is very sad indeed, and I feel honour bound as a
Christian to continue to point out its absurdity - an absurdity that keeps
people away from Christianity because most people think you must be a nutter
to believe such things.

As I have said elsewhere, we must think about what the Fall narrative
_means_ rather than being stuck on whether it happened literally as
described. (Man+woman+fruit).

Iain