Re: [asa] Sense and nonsense

From: D. F. Siemens, Jr. <dfsiemensjr@juno.com>
Date: Fri Jun 22 2007 - 00:59:39 EDT

On Thu, 21 Jun 2007 20:25:15 -0400 "Alexanian, Moorad"
<alexanian@uncw.edu> writes:
> Humans can do nothing but copy Nature. Flight, computers, computer
> memory, submarines, etc. are reproduced in all sorts of manufactured
> objects. However, none will have the ability of neither common sense
> nor the creative power to create abstracts concepts. Man was created
> in "the image of God," which feature cannot be mapped in purely
> physical objects. Note that one must invoke the nonphysical or even
> the supernatural to deal with the negation of AI.
>

> Moorad

I'll agree with your first sentence with respect to static electricity
generators, which mimic the production of lightning. But I see no natural
example of a DC or AC generator, nor transformers and Tesla coils.

As to common sense, one of the grave problems with physicians is that
they fixate on diagnoses. I think of one case where the chap diagnosed
kidney stones, which weren't there, and decided it was indigestion. It
was a ruptured appendix. The patient nearly died. Only a competent
surgeon who was called in and massive doses of antibiotic saved his life.
That's the kind of event which suggests that we need to run symptoms into
a computer for life and death decisions, especially with uncommon
syndromes.

Finally, I would like you to prove that 10^10 neurons with 10^14 synapses
cannot generate a concept.
Dave